Watch for Me NC
The City of Kinston has been selected to participate in the 2021 cohort of Watch For Me NC, an initiative run by North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and the UNC Highway Safety Research Center (HSRC) to reduce pedestrian and bicycle injuries and deaths through public education, community engagement, and specific law enforcement efforts. The program involves the work of community partners from all angles related to transportation and safety to improve education, enforcement, and generally safe transportation practices.
Beginning in late summer, the Kinston Police Department and the Watch for Me Coalition will be participating in many safety events, trainings, and operations, working closely with local organizations and businesses to promote safety for all who walk, bike, or drive in the City of Kinston.
Stay tuned for future events!
Remember, Safety is a Shared Responsibility
When You're Driving:
- Yield to people in crosswalks
- Always look first for pedestrians or cyclists before turning, backing up, and driving at night
- Pass bicyclists only when it is safe, and give them plenty of room
- Be prepared for bicyclists to take the whole lane--its their right if they need it
When You're Walking:
- Look for cars in all directions
- Obey all pedestrian traffic signals
- At night, walk in well-lit areas, carry a flashlight, and/or wear something reflective to be more visible
- Cross the street where you have the best view of traffic. At bus stops, cross behind the bus or at the nearest crosswalk
- Always walk on the sidewalk--if there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from the roadway as you can
When You're Cycling:
- Wear a helmet -- it could save your life
- Stop at "Stop" signs and red lights
- Ride in the direction of traffic and as far to the right as possible
- Use front and rear lights at night to be as visible as possible
- Use hand signals to indicate when turning